Saturday, December 27, 2008

Toronto

I don't often take my camera downtown due to the inconvenience factor, but since I also work downtown some days I can fit it in. I was on an abstract roll in November and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Heck, if I hadn't been doing something different that month I wouldn't have had a submission to Visual Arts Mississauga.

 
An Ad for all transit systems


Scene from a bus shelter


Platform #4

I suppose the appeal for the bus shelter shot is the wet and grit and it's also a half decent landscape shot. The "sky" at the back is actually a concrete barrier which suits the grey tonality of the rest of the photo very well. It's nice that it didn't blow out because it would have distracted from...the car! There's a car reflection - unintentional statement of some sorts?

Platform #4 I intentionally metered for whatever highlights could be preserved because it was far too dark for any other kind of photography. What's left is a sort of etch-a-sketch of the highlights flowing in from the end of the tunnel and the bush sheds (where the steam and exhaust escape).

The next photo of the tourist bus I thought was pretty effective because the painted design on the side of the building looked as if it was the front of the bus 10x optically zoomed. It matches well I think.

I'm not sure what words to describe the last with. I like geometry paired with INTERESTINGNESS. It is said black and white photos need definite 'black' and 'white' points as a general rule (helps with perceived contrast). What draws me to this photo is that the black and white points aren't purely for dynamic range, but act as a stark contrast between black and white. Oh...and the shadow...a mouth?

No comments: